X

Enquiry Form

Feel free to contact us on 03 9662 1484 or visit us at 430 Albert Street, East Melbourne, Victoria 3002. Alternatively, submit your query below and one of our staff members will be in touch soon.

19th November, 2019

Building Restoration Unveiled Today in Melbourne


Victorian Artists Society

Heritage and National Trust Listed Building Restoration Completed

Unveiled Today in Melbourne

 

Victorian Artists Society

430 Albert Street, East Melbourne

 

View the completed heritage building restoration

Click HERE or the image below for the 2 minute video

 

 

 

Video Production Ron Smith  CMC

The Victorian Artists Society Heritage and National Trust Listed Building Restoration is now complete following the four-year $2.5 million heritage restoration.

 

This evening at 7pm, the Society will be proudly celebrating the official opening of the building in conjunction with the presentation of the 

2019 MAVIS LITTLE ARTIST OF THE YEAR AWARD

sponsored by the Hansen Little Foundation

 

and the Victorian Artists Society

2019 SCULPTOR OF THE YEAR AWARD

 

The completion of the heritage restoration coincides with the 150th anniversary of the Victorian Artists Society in 2020.

Note: The balcony where Dame Nellie Melba sang to the crowds in Albert Street will also be accessible. Dame Nellie Melba ran her Music Conservatorium at the Society.

 

Media Enquiries:

Ron Smith, Media Communications, Victorian Artists' Society - Mobile: 0417 329 201    

The Victorian Artists Society at 430 Albert Street, East Melbourne

A BRIEF HISTORY

The Victorian Artists Society had its beginnings in 1870 when a small group of artists and lay persons met in magistrate James Robertson’s house at Blessington Street, St. Kilda, to form the Victorian Academy of the Arts – the direct ancestor of the Victorian Artists Society. Among the founders were Louis Buvelot, J A Panton, Thomas Clark and Hubert de Castella.

This heavyweight group were instrumental in not only securing the Crown Land Grant on which our building now stands, but in the early establishment of the Society as a legal entity. Immediately following the grant of land in Albert Street in 1873, a small bluestone building was erected, which although almost totally subsumed by the present building, still serves both as a studio and a reminder of our colonial past.

In 1886 the professional artist members, led by Arthur Streeton, Tom Roberts and Charles Conder formed the Australian Artists Association.

Later in 1887 talks commenced to unite the two groups forming the Victorian Artists Society. It is within these walls that young artists including Arthur Streeton, Charles Conder, Tom Roberts, Walter Withers, Frederick McCubbin, and many others, commenced their journey of brushstrokes, which today form the foundation of Australia’s major art collections in national galleries across Australia.

Many of these works were purchased from members’ exhibitions, a process which continues today as the Victorian Artists Society, with members from all works of life and all levels of skill, continue to learn to paint and exhibit.

This building is a public asset and learning centre for following generations, and is open to the public and all of those who love art.

The Victorian Artists Society's historic restoration of the building will ensure this historic birthplace of Australian art continues as an important part in the lives of significant and ordinary Australians, from the time it opened its doors in 1892 and well into the future.